FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FTC investigating Drip Pricing - Mention Priceline and 'resort fees'
Old May 30, 2012, 10:02 am
redtop43

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by wharvey
I did not think this would apply to the OP situation... the rate he found was a bundled package deal... and the Best Rate Guarantee does not include those... if I have understood it correctly. Granted, you could say the breakfast made it even more expensive... but not sure they would see it that way.

The Big Deal Guarantee applies to the rate for room nights only. Promotional packages, deals, or bundles that may include additional amenities such as parking, meals, entertainment, etc. are not eligible.

I think it would be hard to argue that if a hotel charges $500 a night, but has a package for $99 including breakfast, that the comparative rate for the guarantee is $500. You probably can't argue that the breakfast is worth (say) $20 so the real comparitive rate is $79, but I would think Priceline would recognize that in this case it should be $99.

I saw a rate exactly like that a few weeks ago when making a hotel booking, admittedly the rates were much higher (over $1000 per night) but the "romance package" with breakfast was cheaper than the room-only rate.