FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Banking and Good banks in the PRC Discussion
Old May 30, 2012, 9:52 am
jiejie

Programs: various
I like to keep things simple. I'm down to two:
1) HSBC Premier (the free wiring between the linked accounts in different countries is a godsend, and I've used HSBC ATM's in many other countries fee-free).
2) Merchants Bank for my local. Not a VIP account, but am very satisfied with their service and overall competence. I use primarily for local payments such as utilities and for local ATM. I just visit a branch when I need something, don't deal with online (in which they sadly do not have the best interface for English readers.)

I had BoC when I first arrived in China since banking was different back then and they were the only ones that could deal with individual foreigners needing incoming forex wires and all that in Beijing (banking restrictions in Beijing were not loosened as early as they were in Shanghai and some other cities). I kissed them goodbye back in 2004 or 2005 when they had long outlived their usefulness and I realized I hadn't used the account in a year.

HSBC USA retail banking is going to be going away due to corporate restructuring. I will look into the Schwab thing.