FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Trianon Palace Versailles, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel {FRA} (France)
Old May 29, 2012, 7:35 pm
SST

Stand by for an amazing ripoff when you go to leave this hotel. There are three train stations in Versailles. I came in to Versailles Rive Gauche, via the RER train from Paris left bank. There was a taxi waiting at the station, and we paid the ridiculous 11 Euro fare plus 3 Euro for luggage, to get the 5 minutes to the hotel, which is too far to walk.

So as a smart guy, I decided to leave from the Rive Droit station instead, it being only maybe 1/2 mile away. The trains from there go to Paris-St-Lazare, which was convenient for my next hotel. How to get a taxi from the Trianon Palace? You have to have the concierge call. SO, after standing in line, being informed I was fourth in the queue for a taxi, and then waiting nearly half an hour as others took off for their trains, I was the lucky winner of a taxi which arrived with 13 Euros already on the meter, and I was charged 16 plus the 3 euro luggage supplement, to go the 2 minutes' ride.

OMG. I understand that French taxis called usually charge to show up, but Twenty bucks for a two minute drive? The hotel has to do something about this-- it is a mechanized ripoff. The same taxi goes back and forth, the drivers decide who gets what fare, and they extract the maximum from the customers. Could the hotel provide a courtesy car? Oh, they do---- to Paris for 90 Euros. per their sheet. The train fare varies 3E40 or 4E depending on which train you take.

If you possibly can, arrive at the Rive Droit Station and plan to depart by foot from there, wheeled luggage walked about 800 steps back into town. It's quicker and you may avoid an even larger ripoff than I was subjected to: who knows? The concierge may call his brother in LaDefense as the next taxi, and who knows what the meter will read when YOU get in.