FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hollywood to Bollywood, the long way: UA/Swiss/Thai 77W/Emirates A380 F + Singapore J
Old May 29, 2012, 6:35 pm
amolkold

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
A lot less time this week, so I'm glad I got the good parts of the TR out of the way (still left are the LH Euro J and United "F" flight, but they were okay).

Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
Superb report and photos amolkold. One of the best I've read on FT.^
Thank you Crampedin13A!

Originally Posted by vecta
Wonderful report amolkold, thank you for taking the time to compose. ^
Thank you vecta!

Originally Posted by dcmike
Amazing report! Your descriptions and photos are astounding. Although I do think you should post some photos of the Tour de Franzia!
That was a few years ago, so no pics (thank goodness), but I couldn't look at grapes for a few days afterward. The things we're able to do in our youth ...

Originally Posted by HMPS
Execellent TR my desi friend.

Wondering if I can put together something like this on miles and Avios?
Thank you HMPS! Avios would be tough, mostly because you can't find a non-stop OW flight from North America to India (you pay more for each segment you take). I burned most of my BA miles on a trip to South America since LAN doesn't have fuel surcharges down there. You could fly BA or CX to India on BA miles, but will pay incredibly high prices in terms of miles and fuel surcharges on both (BA's fuel surcharges might make a grown man cry). It's why I stick to *A for India trips, with some ST if I can find AF J space using DL miles.

Originally Posted by olafman
Great epic report!

I'm a rock climber and often have a backback or some sort as I board in first class. When I was younger, I definitely would get looks and the occasional comment. I'm glad when the airline personnel politely ask in which class am I traveling. They are doing their job to keep first class exclusive. As for the fellow passengers who assume you are in the wrong place, just smile and ignore. It's a technique that will always win out.

A couple of years ago, I was teaching in Munich and had flown down to South Africa on Emirates in FC. The funniest moment came at the gate in Dubai on the way home when I ran into several of my students and their families who had spent the week there. The gate was chaos and the minute they called for the FC pax, I wished them a good flight. I didn't stick around for their reactions but I did hear whispers about it when I was lecturing the next week!
Thank you, olafman! Means a lot coming from you, as I followed your grand yearlong epic tour around the world. Your TRs about South America, Easter Island, and the Emirates AKL-SYD flight were very helpful for this trip and my previous one. ^

After years on FT, I've realized just how people end up flying F, especially long-haul. Most are either not paying for it themselves or have worked hard to learn how to use their miles that way. Does it make us more special? Not at all. But the knowledge helps escape the unnecessary hubbub involved in flying nowadays.

Though I still have a few people who don't believe how I got this trip to work out ...