FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?
Old May 28, 2012, 8:58 pm
Frequent Miler

This makes a lot of sense. Good argument in favor of the Barclays card. You may have convinced me that Lucky was wrong, but not that he did it on purpose for referrals.

Originally Posted by 84fiero
I have the SPG card and like it a lot, but too many analyses overstate the 5K bonus for 20K in transfers, in the context of what most folks (without reimbursable client spend funneling through cards) can spend in shorter timeframes. (And as mentioned upthread, factoring in periodic transfer bonuses isn't a valid factor if one is analyzing only daily spend - otherwise signup bonuses should be included as well.)

If one spends $20,000 in a year, and only wants US miles, then they have earned 25K miles at transfer from the SPG card. If I spend the same $20K in one year on the Barclay's card, after the anniversary I will have earned 30K miles due to the anniversary bonus. In fact I can match the SPG card by only spending $15K during the year. That alone makes the Barclay's card superior for US miles looking only at daily spending over the course of a given year and assuming a certain spend level.

If someone doesn't spend $15K a year on a card, the Barclay's card still wins out due to the 10K/year bonus whereas with SPG you don't get any bonus for transfers less than 20K points.

Neither of the above factors in the 5K discount on award tickets redeemed (on US metal only, granted). Or the extra benefits like Preferred checkin and Zone 2 boarding, and one free USAirways club pass annually. Now the Barclays card annual fee is $23 higher.

It just seems some very obvious contrasts to have been discounted and it sure gives the impression of bias, IMHO