FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old May 26, 2012, 11:59 am
jlemon
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
An excellent assortment of queries to commence the weekend, jlemon. 1976 was a great time to fly!

1) If one wanted to fly in a jet from New York City to Elmira (ELM), what airline would you travel on and what type of equipment would you fly on? (Hint: this carrier operated two different jet aircraft types on the route).

I'm thinking it had to be Allegheny, with BAC-111 and DC-9-30 service. I did two Liberty Fare (Unlimited Mileage) tickets with AL but somehow never did manage a flight through ELM.

3) If one wanted to fly on a DC-10 between New York and Mexico City (MEX), what airline would you travel on?

That would be AeroMexico. The other airline operated L-1011s.

5) What airline flew nonstop between New York and Anchorage (ANC) with a DC-8 Super 60 series?

A little bit of a trick question here inasmuch as one could not purchase a domestic ticket aboard that DC-8-62. That's because it was flown by Japan Air Lines as part of a JFK-ANC-NRT trip. (Was Narita open in 1976 or was it still Haneda?)

9) If you wanted to fly nonstop from New York to Kingston, Jamaica (KIN) on a B707, what airline would you choose? (Hint: you would have your choice of two airlines operating the B707 nonstop on this route). Also, if you wanted to fly nonstop from New York to Kingston on a DC-9-30, what airline would you fly on?

Good question! I seem to recall BWIA operating 707s into Kingston, but then so did Lufthansa (I think...) It seems surprising that by 1976 LH would still be operating a 707 trans-Atlantic flight though, so I'm going to go with BWIA and Pan Am on the 707s with Air Jamaica providing the DC-9-30 service.

By the way, if any of you want to stroll down memory lane, some years ago I submitted a trip report of some travels I did during the summer of 1976. You'll find it HERE.
1) Correct! The AL nonstop or onestop (via BGM) service to ELM operated from LGA.

3) Correct! The AM DC-10 JFK-MEX service continued on to ACA. AM also flew a DC-8 on the route at this time. And EA was the L1011 operator flying nonstop JFK-MEX.

5) Correct! And it was a bit of a trick question as JAL could only carry conditional stopover traffic between JFK and ANC. Routing was JFK-ANC-HND so Haneda was served at this time in Tokyo and not Narita.

9) Very close! The airlines operating the B707 at this time JFK-KIN were Pan Am and Lufthansa. Depending on the day of the week, the actual Lufthansa routings were FRA-JFK-KIN-BOG-LIM-SCL or FRA-JFK-KIN-GYE-LIM so these LH flights continued on to South America. The flights on Pan Am were either nonstop or onestop via MBJ. BWIA did not fly JFK-KIN at this time. Air Jamaica also operated DC-8 Super 60 and B727-200 nonstop or onestop service (via MBJ) on the JFK-KIN route in addition to the JM D9S nonstop. And Eastern operated a B727-100 flight on a routing of EWR-BAL-MBJ-KIN-PAP-SJU.