FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The first time you flew El Al...
View Single Post
Old May 24, 2012, 9:01 am
sh76us

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Platinum)
1994 JFK-TLV

It was a mid week red-eye, takeoff at midnight. I remember after boarding a young man with a wife and a couple of kids gets up and gingerly asks the flight attendant "e-e-excuse me, sir, I didn't get a pillow." The flight attendant wags a finger at him and snaps "EVERYBODY got a pillow!" The nonplussed young man stammers "Then c-c-can I please have another one?" A few rows up, a guy says "He can have mine; I don't need it." The flight attendant snatches it, shoves it to the young man, and stalks off. I remember thinking "Welcome to Israel."

Davening shacharis was a disaster as the flight was full of yeshiva kids bouncing up and down the plane with their teffilin bags catching people in the shoulder or face or whatever and the non-religious saying nasty things.

No individual screens; just a projector movie in Hebrew with English subtitles. Didn't watch much of it, but what I did see looked boring and poorly acted.

Food? Wilton meals are what they are. (or were what they were)

Then the plane lands in Israel at about 5:00 PM. Exit onto the tarmac. Bus ride to the main building. Hour+ wait for immigration. Another while to get the luggage. Another well over an hour to wait for a "sherut." Didn't pull up to my cousins in B'nei B'rak (what? 15 miles from the airport? less?) until almost 10:00.

Ah... memories...