FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Returning to Canada
View Single Post
Old May 23, 2012, 6:13 pm
Taiwaned

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
Originally Posted by headinghome
Hey everyone
Hope you guys can give me some advice...

I've been living here in Miami for the past two years, I came here with my job.. My assignment here is over, and I'm ready to go back to Canada in July.
My question to you guys is this:

- During the last 2 years, I continued to file income tax returns in Canada as a resident (factual resident is the term I think they used to qualify me), continued to maintain my Ontario driver's licence, and also the plates on my car.. I didn't sell my home and continued to use that as my address whenever I was asked where I live. (also filed US tax returns but that's besides the point)

- My question is: Can I take advantage of the $10,000 import limit at the border? If they ask me to prove US residence the only thing I have is my TN visa that I have on a white cardboard piece of paper, and a health insurance card from blue cross and blue shield. I can also get a letter from my company saying that I was working for them in FL and now going back to Toronto.

Thanks in advance everyone, I would really appreciate your input )
I moved back from Taiwan to Canada a few years ago.

We didn't have ANY import limit because we was MOVING back. They asked me to list stuff I purchased abroad within the last 6 months prior to moving back and was required to declare these items. (not a whole lot)

They did ask to see my passport to prove that we were outside the country but did not ask to see proof of residence elsewhere. (I had it ready but they did not ask for it)