FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Latest 717 rumor: DL deal in place
View Single Post
Old May 22, 2012, 8:08 pm
AAerSTL

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Does this mean some of the 717s have operated under:

TW>AA>FL>DL

I know several other carriers have had them like MX Click subsidiary, Hawaiian, Midwest, and Bangkok Airways. Of course Mexicana no longer operates, Hawaiian still has their 717s for interisland hops and seems content, Midwest has gone away and replaced by Republic E-Jets, and Bangkok Airways replaced theirs with A319.

Some of the newest 717s were only manufactured in 2006 and have plenty of useful life left. I find it very interesting to compare fleet strategies of the three major carriers. On one hand you have DL pursuing second hand and out right owning aircraft with low capital costs while AA is pursuing a capital intensive fleet renewal program with new aircraft, UA similarly is pursuing new aircraft but not in the same numbers. Currently, I believe UA has the youngest fleet among major network carriers. It should be interesting to see what happens. It's time fort he DC-9s and MD-80s to go, even if their younger cousin replaces them.