FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - KOTZEBUE Anyone?
View Single Post
Old May 22, 2012, 2:08 am
beckoa
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by AA_SPG_Fan
Hello Gardy --

Great to hear from another OTZ lover. I found a bush-pilot to take me up to Kobuk Valley and comtemplating 2 days or so in Barrow (just to go higher). But that is about $400 or so. The hotels are expensive for accomodation. If I was more in shape and more of a survivor type, I would stay in the backcountry for 2-3 days. It was my plan back in 2003, but I got very ill before that trip and had to cancel. I think there is some omen with me heading to OTZ, at least this is what my friends think.

Museum and new hotel look great .... (saw this weekend on web). I just worry that the locals are not very accomodating to outsiders.
Perhaps use some AS miles?

For 10K one could fly OTZ-BRW RT... on 7H. It hops along the coast- but requires overnights to make the full journey IIRC.

And I haven't been as far north of BRW or OTZ yet... but did have a trip to ANI/BET/SLQ/RDV last summer- and it was quite different then southeast Alaska...just got back from KTN/WRG last week