FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - upgrade on a transatlantic flight - the easy way
Old May 21, 2012, 5:32 pm
glbetrotter

Programs: DL DM, EY Plat, MM Senator
Originally Posted by jsmith50
I've only ever gotten the mileage credit for the fare class that my ticket was originally purchased under when op up'd. Flew back to the States last week SYD-LAX and did not get the op up on a flight that had 80+ empty seats in back. However, they called up 31 pax on that flight for new BPs. I am assuming that there were at least several non revs and family members in this bunch who probably had their standby BPs replaced with actual BPs but I talked with one very excited young lady and husband in the gate area who were not expecting it when she got called up and very clearly were op up'd. I know for sure that there were at least 2 DMs in EC (myself and the guy sitting across the aisle from me). Anyone have experience with SYD and op ups? Curious what criteria they use...
Have flown this route only once, but many other TPAC flights. Would guess that they follow the usual DL practice (i.e. "protecting" the BE cabin from everyone but NRSAs): even if BE is pretty much empty and there are just a few DMs on the flight, they will not op-up you (sans YBM + SWU, of course). A DM, HVC or not, would sit in the back even on full Y (which is about $5K now, I think), and non-revs and buddy-passes will be riding upfront. But, hey, this is an official benefit of the job, so no problem.

Were you on a low coach fare?