FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - STL Terminal Updates (post Apr 22, 2011 tornado)
Old May 20, 2012, 6:56 pm
DCAproducer

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Originally Posted by hockeystl
At the time that the US move to A was planned, DL was seriously considering adding both LAX and BOS out of STL. They also had mainline service on every flight out of STL to DTW/ATL/MSP early last year. STL was getting substantial attention from DL during this period as Hank Halter, their CFO, was personally involved in the operations of this station. The former station manager, Bob Carter, reported directly to Hank...that's how hands-on DL was at the time on STL. My understanding was Hank was also involved in arranging the DEQM promo the past couple years that all us STL-based benefited from. There was a big drive to increase market share for DL in STL and I believe that push has subsided....

The current situation is Hank is no longer with the company and, AFAIK, no other exec has taken over in the direct oversight of STL. ML service has also been cut to both DTW and MSP in the past year.

DL is still a great choice for STL-based FF'rs but the once big dreams we all had of additional NS destinations, and our own SC, have passed.
DL is keeping growth tight across the system, not just STL. The DCA loss was very much tied to DL losing a ton of slots at DCA. As a DCA based flier it is a bit difficult. Now they only connect to their hubs.

I'm from STL, so I still come in town a few times a year. I still use DL and just connect in DTW or ATL.

In response to US moving to C, it's a smart move for many reasons. First off C has a ton of space and if the airport wants anyone to grow, there's the opportunity. By making A less cramped, it gives the airlines in A more space. As someone who remembers the days of Ozark and TWA I like the renovations and improvements. Thank goodness the old shinny, low ceiling in baggage claim is history!