FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Global Premier (fka Systemwide) Upgrades on Lufthansa?
Old May 18, 2012, 8:45 pm
mre5765
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by Bluehen1
The last time I flew FRA-EWR, this almost was the case. I was waiting in the Tower Lounge after coming in from DUS and was called up to the desk. The agent told me that if I wanted the upgrade, I would have last choice of the meals and might not get what I wanted as they would not be able to load the proper catering. I accepted and got a seat in Row 1 and was able to get everything I wanted. Of course, YMMV.
Last time I flew FRA-ORD, I went to the FCL (arrived on an LH flight after upgrading to F), and with a two hour layover it was no go due to meals. Whereas, I once got to the gate at BLR two hours before and was told the captain approved the upgrade contingent on me accepting a business class meal. I accepted, and of course was able to eat an F class meal. They'd would have let have three meals that night.

So yes, YMMV. IME, check in at least 3 hours before with the counter or a lounge, and you will score if there is space (and there usually is, last month missed one upgrade to F. First miss due to a full F cabin in over a dozen tries).

Originally Posted by unavaca
Sweet! I'll order my SWU now Upgrade is still at gate-only/checkin, right?

How long does it take for SWUs to arrive? There's only F2 left on my flight, so I'm contemplating if I should wait to see if that drops to 0 and I can avoid having to mail it back for re-deposit.
The GPU you will get will exclude Z, and thus you can count on LH denying P. This was the case for years with discounted economy fares that weren't listed as excluded but most of the time denied by LH. YMMV, but not by much.

It is worth a try though.

Last edited by mre5765; May 19, 2012 at 7:49 am