FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - J0, seat map shows 7/25 open
View Single Post
Old May 18, 2012, 2:36 pm
steve64

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
Originally Posted by rebech34
I understand, but it seams odd that 6 seats where taken within minutes and non of them are marked. As one waiting for an upgrade, the first thing I would do if cleared is to select my seat....so it doesn't look like upgrades have cleared. Also, I am a 1k on a dollar + miles. I would assume I would be at the top of the list (didn't call to verify thought).
I understand what you guys say, but it still seams wired. Is there a possibility that they blocked it with no reason and will release sometime? Am I way off

I'll see what happens... Cross figures...
What is so hard to understand about this concept ...
Seat availability shows the number of seats the airline is willing to sell.
Seat map shows the specific seats which can be assigned.

Assigned seats and number of seats available to sell are 2 completely different things.
It's not odd for 6 seats to be "taken" (I assume you mean "sold") within minutes but not "marked" (I assume you mean "assigned"). Maybe:
  • a meeting coordinator booked 6 seats as a "group". Seat assignments will be handles later.
  • UDU just ran and upgraded 6 people. Those lucky 6 haven't been sent an email yet so don't know they should (or don't care) selecting specific seats
  • Yield Management has noticed the previous fligh is seriously oversold, so has blocked addition sales for this flight as "protect" space for the oversold trip.
  • Many other possibilities

J0 means don't expect a Business Class seat. If you do get changed to J, the seat map shows which seats you may select from. The seat map does not show anything else.