FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Global Premier (fka Systemwide) Upgrades on Lufthansa?
Old May 18, 2012, 4:03 am
chinatraderjmr

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by UnitedF1RST
...about the whole process. If there is a seat available that is otherwise going to go unsold at check-in, are you virtually guaranteed the upgrade?
Pretty much. Usually if they can they will upgrade you at check in. From airports like JFK, ORD, FRA if an F seat is avail then no problem. Where you might have a problem is coming back to Germany from smaller stations with 1 or 2 flts a day where they don't do there own catering (Many African/Mid East Countries). They may not have extra catering for more pax then were booked. LH is not UA. They will NEVER ask for your 2nd choice, etc. if there is not enough FCL MEALS for everyone to have what they want, they may not upgrade you

Originally Posted by SteveHK
Called in a couple days ago to request a GPU for LH. The agent asked when my departure was (it's late August) so, I was surprised to see my GPU show up earlier today in a FedEx overnight envelope . Guess I just got a good agent ^.

Step 2: Get it to clear on DXB-FRA in late summer...
DXB-FRA/MUC in summer usually have light loads so you should not have a problem. AUG is a good month as its to hot for most people to travel TO DXB and most locals are already gone for the summer so FLTS FROM DXB are lighter (I usually switch from EK to LH in summer as we spend allot of time in Germany / France and I don't think I have EVER been on a full LH 747 from DXB in summer. Usually half full. (DXB Station is not good about upgrading at check in (they don't use LH staff, they use DNATA ground staff. It important to make sure they put you on the list and when you get to the gate, FIND one of the true LH employees and ask them - go to gate early so they have enough time to load a meal for you.

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 18, 2012 at 7:49 am Reason: merge