FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - aloft Minneapolis [Master Thread]
View Single Post
Old May 17, 2012, 7:49 pm
yoohoo

Programs: AC *E, SPG Plat, Hertz
Aloft - Best SPG property in MSP

I was in MSP for a few months, every week, on a project.

I stayed at the following:

Westin MSP
W Foshay
Meridien Chambers
Sheraton Midtown

By far, the Aloft was the best property in my view.

Rooms: Rooms are nice and spacious, and very functional. Layout is sensible, and if you get one of the rooms facing Gold Medal Park it's really quiet. The rooms facing the street are slightly noisier, but nothing unbearable by any means.

Internet: The wireless is reliable, but I've noticed it varies in speed depending on where you are in the property, and what time of day it is. At no time was it too slow to get work done though.

Food: Best food at any of the properties frankly. Mains at the bar go for $10-$12, and breakfast runs about the same (A breakfast sandwich, odwalla smoothie drink and a complimentary tea/coffee).

Restaurants nearby: Sanctuary across the street is amazing in terms of a higher end place, Maxwell's on Washington ave (5-10 minute walk away) probably has some of the better pub food around. Wasabi across the street is decent for Sushi, and Zen Box izakaya on Washington ave has some good Japanese pub food.

Staff: Great staff, know you by name after a few weeks, and are very receptive to requests (they graciously once helped print out a few presentations for me that I had to give the next morning when it was late night)

Location: Location is great (especially if your client is located outside of the MSP downtown core). It's close to 35W, which will get you anywhere around town. Even if your client is downtown, it's a short drive or light rail ride into the core (5 minutes).

Fitness facilities: I like the 'do everything' cable machine they have at the alofts... I'm a bit of a workout fanatic and it does the trick (as I am a heavy weight user, and no hotel I've been to really accomodates). Also, it's right by the riverfront, and the trail is a fantastic run.

All in all, I'd definitely stay at Aloft MSP when in town.