FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Short Checking Baggage
View Single Post
Old May 13, 2012, 12:24 am
hgp
Ambassador: Thai Airways

Programs: EK*P, TG*P, SQ*PPS
Originally Posted by BKKROP
The Ambassador supporting someone who had already decided they were going to pull the plug in CDG on what appears to be a LH award FRA-BKK return. The ticket would read that BKK is the only stopover but could have easily been rewritten in BKK, but what is being supported is their no show on an aircraft, and the captain announcing we will only be delayed 30 minutes whilst we take a bag off the aircraft.
Let me be perfectly clear. At no point did I advocate checking in for the entire journey (BKK-CDG-FRA-XXX-YYY) and then failing to board for the FRA-CDG-XXX-YYY portion to force offloading of bags. Such a strategy is completely inappropriate given the cost, inconvenience and delays it would cause (not to mention it is also probably illegal).

My advice was that short-checking the bag, given the 7 hour layover, is both reasonable and legal. It was my understanding the OP wished to access his/her back in CDG for ~7 hours and then reboard for CDG-FRA-XXX-YYY with bag. This was very clear in my post:
Originally Posted by hgp
Now, they may not want to issue onward boarding passes beyond CDG, and if that's the case just ask them to check you as far as CDG and re-check-in later.
[removed response to now-deleted post]

Last edited by cblaisd; Jun 11, 2012 at 10:21 pm