FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Walking route through CDG 2F to 2E
View Single Post
Old May 12, 2012, 8:52 am
mtkeller

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by JOUY31
Well, it is probably a French thing, as it is quite common and easily understood in France. As ADP is preparing its second phase of enhancements to signage, what would you recommend that is easily understood in most cultural environments worldwide?
The London Underground signage is widely respected as some of the best in the world, and LU uses an upward pointing arrow to mean straight ahead. A downward pointing arrow suggests the need to go down a flight of stairs or escalator, and in the absence of a means of going down, I always start wondering if the sign means I should turn around. I can't think of anywhere I've been outside of France that uses a downward pointing arrow as an indication of "keep going the direction you're walking". I imagine there are probably other places, but it seems they would still constitute a minority of the world. The only time an upward arrow could create confusion is if some traffic should go straight and other traffic should go up a set of stairs. In that case, you could place the sign so that using an up+right or up+left arrow points toward the stairs and the up arrow points the direction those who should not use the stairs should proceed.