FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: US LCC & AMR / AA Takeover / merger Rumors and Discussion (consolidated)
Old May 12, 2012, 12:15 am
chicaloca453

Programs: UA Silver/ AA EXP/Hyatt Globalist/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by romadaro
Second thoughts? Maybe, but I doubt it when the devil they knew backed them into a corner and left them no choice. Ever heard the expression "desperate times call for desperate measures?" That's the state of American Airlines right now and each and every employee is simply trying to save their individual butt and come out of this thing still employed. If that means jumping ship and going with the devil they don't, then so be it! When AA says they want to cut 13,000 jobs and US says come to our side and we can save at least half of those, which way would you go?!
Point taken. And I don't think everyone is having second thoughts. What I meant (but didn't articulate well) is that AA employees are learning what they didn't know before and no doubt some of them are getting nervous and having an "oh crap" moment. Lots of statements in this forum have mentioned AA employees saying they didn't know x y and z about US.

As far as 13,000 jobs, aren't a lot of those in call centers (who aren't union)? I have to wonder how Parker can promise to save call center jobs when he is the king of outsourcing these jobs to Manilla and Mumbai. And he's obviously not courting call center workers since they're not represented by unions.

I really think Parker sold the employees a bill of goods and his own employees know he won't be able to deliver. And I think AA employees are probably starting to fear the US Employees are correct.