FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Are bloggers ruining Flyertalk????
View Single Post
Old May 8, 2012, 7:55 pm
84fiero

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by sbm12
Helping to increase the knowledge of the traveling public shouldn't be seen as a shameful or abhorrent act IMO. None of us knew everything when we joined this community. We all learned from different resources. Yes, spreading the information more broadly means more people know about it. That's sortof the point.

But to say that anyone here should be able to decide that XYZ deal is only for "us" and other deals are OK for "them" is a tremendously selfish and not particularly realistic approach to the world IMO. Either you're in it for yourself or to help others. Neither is necessarily wrong. But that also means none of us should get to decide that the others are wrong for doing what they do.

So the disappointment is that others got it before "you" in this case, right? Meaning someone who thinks they discovered that Wyndham points could be converted to miles should be first in line to get those points, after someone who learned that from someone else? Again, which other communities do you propose be shut down to "keep the secrets?" Certainly we have to kill AFWD, MilePoint and DansDeals, right? Probably FatWallet and a few others, too.

If anyone knows about a deal then it is reasonable to assume that others will, too. The key is to be smart and quick. Get what you want while you can. No deal is going to last forever even if no one knows about it.
I think you're right about the sour grapes from many who are complaining - before it was bashing other FT'ers who supposedly weren't discrete enough about FDs or the Mint; now it's bloggers. There are some great blogs, some decent blogs, and some terrible blogs - just like anything in life.

FT has obviously grown, and I've only been active for a few years. I don't see blaming bloggers as accurate. Someone upthread mentioned that if you can google it, it can be found. That's how I first found FT, quite by accident, researching for a trip. If a few bloggers have loose lips, that's a drop in the bucket compared to the overall accessibility of travel and miles/points info on FT, MP, FW, etc.