FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Air China (CA) New 773 F, Swiss (LX) A343 F, Zurich and Beijing
Old May 8, 2012, 4:41 pm
AZbba

Programs: AA LT GLD 1MM
Park Hyatt Beijing

The ride to the hotel at that time of the morning was traffic free and quite fast.

The lobby is on the 63rd floor. I was able to check in right away.

Here's some pics of the room, shower was AMAZING.

Air was pretty bad that day

For the first day I just slept and walked over to Tiananmen Square.

The hotel sits on a high-end mall that has some restaurants downstairs. Keep in mind everything at the hotel has a 15% surcharge. I had a 1/2 order of Peking Duck at the restaurant downstairs for dinner.
Yum

View from the lobby at night:

The next day was set aside for the great wall. After a bit of research I decided on Juyongguan for a first visit (plan to return with the GF later this year). I did not want to take a taxi all the way there, and prefered someone who spoke english. Doing more research I found that most of the english tours are rather crappy, stopping at trinket shops ect. I found a guide named Victor that was recommended by many on tripadvisor. He would pick me up from the hotel and take me to the wall for 3 hours and then back in a new model car for an extremely reasonable price.

For some reason the other side was WAY more crowded. I think it was because the tour busses dropped people off there.

Stopped on the way back for more peking duck at about 1/3 the cost of the hotel restaurant.

The tour was great, he was very experienced and will definitly use him again next time we visit.

His website is
http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_5648227d0100uq5r.html

He also does inner mongolia/gobi desert tours during other times of the year. I would love to do one of those.

That night I went downstairs to the XIU club (http://xiubeijing.com/) and it was actually quite fun.

Next day I woke up late and tried to push the checkout as late as possible. I was planning on doing the forbidden city but wouldn't have had enough time so I'll save that for the next trip. I just walked around the city a bit instead.

Checked out and left for the airport early at about 3:30pm.