FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Beijing subway questions
View Single Post
Old May 8, 2012, 1:05 am
jiejie

Programs: various
Originally Posted by mominthecity
-We don't have lounge access but didn't know if the hotel's concierge could advise or coordinate getting/reserving tix for the acrobatic show at the Chayong Theatre (didn't know if I should buy tix online & give c.c. and don't know if tix available at window). We wanted to do it in advance as we wanted to go eve of arrival (arrive at PEK 4 p.m. eta check-in 6). Is that realistic? Should we take subway to the the show or taxi? Tried to locate it on the map but it's taking me longer than just posting and asking.
-I also saw a review that getting a taxi from Forbidden City back to hotel can be a hassle. Have you heard or experienced same thing? Thoughts?
-Finally-we are also debating staying at Courtyard NE due to great reviews/better rates for us. However - that's pretty far out, right? Access to subway not as convenient? What do you think?
Thanks so much!
I'll let moondog do the specific Cap Ren questions. Don't stay at the Courtyard NE, it's a terribly inconvenient location for you. Others:

--Take taxi from airport, from the official queue. Have the address written in Chinese also a phone number for the hotel. (Chinese cabbies all have mobile phones even if you don't.)

--No, you do not have time to get to the Chaoyang Acrobat show on the day of arrival, if your scheduled in at 4 pm. Pick another evening. When you arrive, ask hotel to help you get tickets. You can also buy at box office but better not to waste valuable sightseeing time. It's actually very easy to get to Chaoyang Theater by subway from your hotel: get on Line 10 Shuangjing station, then up 3 stops to Hujialou Station, Exit C. The theater is immediately south of this Exit, can't miss it.

--Yes, getting a taxi from the Forbidden City (including the exit/north gate) can be wicked. And the subway is a long, long walk. If you don't want to deal with having a prearranged car (tough to sync the logistics if you can't speak to the driver in Mandarin), then public bus is an option. There are a pile of bus lines with stops near the north gate, choice depends where you'd be heading next.