FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TSA and the War on Drugs
View Single Post
Old May 7, 2012, 8:24 pm
castrobenes

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
1. I don't have time to look them up now, but, the manufacturer's websites make the sales pitch that these devices can be set to detect narcotics. They sell them to police departments.
The machines are the same machines used by the prison system to detect for drugs. If the drug settings were turned on, then there should be more arrests.

2. It does make sense if one's goal is to trump up one's value to society by taking criminals off the street. Your leadership loves to make known the number of drug arrests (all coincidental, of course) from bag searches and SPOTNik surveillance. Congress and a large percentage of the American People don't really care whether or not this type of "police activity" is legal. The TSA wants to arrest "bad" people at airports. They don't care how they do it or why they are "bad."
So your theory is that TSA leadership has engaged in a secret plot to turn on the ETD drug settings to generate good publicity about drug arrests. This also doesn't make sense. A better plot would have been to coverup the arrests of TSA employees, especially since so many of the arrests involve TSA employees turning in other TSA employees.

I also am critical of any TSA trumpeting of drug or contraband arrests. I think the entire TSA blog is a bad idea.

However most of the arrest stories are generated by reporters copying police reports. TSA doesn't arrest these people to begin with.

3. The easiest way to conduct narcotics trafficking at America's airports is to bribe as many clerks (including management clerks) as is necessary to get the job done. Based on those arrested, their going rate is pretty cheap.

How is this related to the conspiracy theory that TSA somehow has turned on ETD drug settings to generate good publicity?

For the record, I have no problem with submitting to a search of my person or property as a condition of TSA employment. Screen me as often as you want, screen my employees.

I think everyone should be screened each time they enter the sterile area (except for LEOs).

castro