FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - JFK Airport connections between T3 and T4.
Old May 5, 2012, 10:21 am
orlandodlplat

Programs: Delta DM/2MM, Flying Blue Gold, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by floridastorm
So, my understanding is that one has to go from your arrival gate in T3 and exit the terminal to the outside. Do you go straight outside or do you have to go to a different level (escalator/elevator)? The map of T3 is showing the airport loop Airtrain as the inside track. How do you determine which direction the Airtrain is going? Would hate to go from T3 to T4 the long way round.
Okay, let me try this again. It's equally possible you'll be physically arriving at T2, and not at T3. Because T2 has no immigration facilities and you're coming in at prime international time, I'd imagine T2 is more likely.

There is one Airtrain stop for T2/3, which happens to line up more with T3. There is a covered walkway from T3 to the Airtrain. From T2, there is a bit of a walk outside (less than 100 yards). If you arrive at T2 and don't want to go outside, you can stay in the sterile area and follow the signs to gates 1-16. You'll take a moving walkway to T3, from which you should see signs for the exit and the Airtrain. At T4, the train stop is physically inside the terminal.

As for the direction of the train itself, there are digital monitors which tell you the route of the next arriving train. But it's also pretty simple. Walking towards the airtrain from T2/3, T4 is to your right. So the train heading in that direction will be heading to T4.

When arriving T4 you have to go through security. Is there usually a long queue? Our flight is at 8:30 PM and our arrival at T3 is at 5:20 PM.
Are you travelling in business class or do you have Star Alliance priority? If not, I'd plan on the T4 A-Pier line to be quite long. This is the busiest time of the day at JFK.

Now, if we do decide to get some fresh air and walk the distance to T4, I notice from a Youtube Airtrain video that there is a sidewalk or walkway alongside of and beneath the Airtrain. We will only have a couple of small carry-on bags that roll as Delta will transfer our checked baggage to Singapore Airlines. Could we actually walk it without too much difficulty?
I would advise against this. Stick with the shuttle or the Airtrain. There's a lot of construction along the way, and even if it's doable, it most certainly will be less than pleasant.