FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Andaz Capital Gate Abu Dhabi - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old May 4, 2012, 5:15 pm
chelmkamp

Programs: Flying Blue, Mileage Plus
Just got back from a weekend getaway to the Capital Gate. The service really is very good, almost too attentive. As a Platinum (from the promo going on now), got a nice room upgrade. The room was enormous, with a beautiful bathroom, although facing the city instead of the more attractive seaside. Room design is earthy, modern, with lots of interesting texture that blends well with the unique architecture of the building.

As for the room, everything is automated but not too confusing to figure out. Minibar is pretty lacking, with a pretty standard lineup of beverages but only KitKats, nuts or Pringles for snacking. Didn't have any meals from room service but did order some incredible homemade ice cream flavors -- I tried saffron yogurt, cardamom peach, pine nut, and Turkish coffee flavors. All were excellent.

Asked for a 2pm late checkout, was told to feel free to stay until 6 pm (I left at 3 anyway). Very generous offer, but I guess now is a pretty quiet time in Abu Dhabi. The hotel really isn't very close to anything except the convention center and many embassies, but the front desk will call a taxi which will arrive in just a few minutes and sweep you off to wherever (but the cost does add up to take taxis from here downtown too many times).

Their breakfast concept is a little odd, a bit of a hybrid between buffet (for cold items) and a la carte, but all included with the breakfast rate. Fresh baked pastries were outstanding -- whole wheat croissants lovely, and good selection of fresh fruit. Cooked a la carte items were just OK, but presented well. Open kitchen so you see what's going on. Didn't eat any other meals at 18 Degrees, but I heard from locals that the Friday brunch is good/unique.

It's hot now, but I still found it bearable enough on the cantilever pool to swim late morning/midday. I was the only one with either the heat tolerance or the free time to be out there over the two mornings. Small pool but great view. There's just enough breeze blowing across at 19 stories up, and the pool water is either cooled or not enough in the sun yet to warm up at that hour. Didn't try the spa or fitness center.

Highly recommended if you don't mind the location. The price was even good as far as luxury hotels in the Emirates go -- definitely one of the finest hotels I've stayed at, and best overall values for luxury I've ever experienced in the Gulf.