FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What are 25k miles worth to you?
View Single Post
Old May 3, 2012, 10:41 pm
Spyro

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Except the $480 should be treated as taxable income, so the OP might only see half of it.
Agreed. I'm not a lawyer but as I understood it companies who pay for their employees to fly are listing those costs as "expenses." They are not paying their employees extra money to buy tickets, even if it's a reimbursement to the employee. Class of service does not matter.

However, if you use your miles and then get extra money from your company and get caught, you could be in trouble. Depending on how its interpreted, it could be listed as fraudulent. Again, I'm not a lawyer, but I understand that skymiles are only to be redeemed through Delta approved sources for flights, merchandise, etc., but never for cash unless given a very special exception.

I would not risk this. Use miles or have your company pay. Delta would not care about the outcome most likely (they would prefer cash of course) but it would be risky from a business perspective. Just my thoughts.

Also, this is NOT an attempt to start another heated discussion, so please let's not get one started. Let's keep it civil and constructive.