FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old May 3, 2012, 11:03 am
wco81
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Well I exchanged a couple of emails with Starone credit union and they agreed to have their card dept. contact me about getting an EMV card because I told them I have travel plans.

But I just called them now on my own. Initially, they were going to send an EMV card to replace/complement an existing Debit Visa, which applies transactions directly out of my checking account. She had me select a 5-digit PIN over the phone.

But after I got off the phone, I just had more questions, like what happens to my existing PIN and do I use one PIN for ATMs and one PIN for the chip transactions.

So I called back and talked to another rep. She said they do have a EMV for their regular "classic VISA." I asked for that and they are sending one out to me.

They said it would have a different number than my existing Visa (which I haven't used in years). They will mail a PIN for that separately.

Nice thing about their Visa is no annual fees and just 1% forex imposed by Visa. They don't have their own surcharge. But there isn't any kind of rewards program, which is why I've been using other cards.

However, apparently when you travel overseas, you have to tell them you will be using the cards out of the country. So that's kind of a hassle, as I haven't had too many problems with other cards (once I think my old Schwab Visa might have been declined and I had to call back to the US).