FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United's, DeHavilland Dash 8 Awful Airplane
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:23 am
ULMFlyer

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by dls25
I don't mind the Q400, especially since they have added F and E+. They are much better than the CRJ or ERJ. I just hate that they are operated by an incompetent company like Colgan Air. I had two acquaintances die on 3407 so I refuse to fly them out of principle. I could not be happier to see them shutting down so that a reliable and safe carrier can take over this flying. I love Alaska's and Porter's Q400's though.
+1

I think the Q400 is a very comfortable and safe aircraft and would take it any day over an ERJ and a CR2. The OP shouldn't be frightened by the propeller, since it's a turboprop and thus not that different from a turbofan. The only drawback I see is that they tend to fly lower than jets and thus the ride is bumpier in longer sectors. In short ones such as BUF-EWR, or PIT-EWR which I fly often there's not much of a difference if any.

Now, like dls25, because of Colgan I avoided the Q400 when I had the option to choose ExpressJet between PIT-EWR. And that was even before 3407, when I learned Colgan was part of Pinnacle. So, while I feel for the employees, I'm also glad they're shutting down.