FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Long queues at T5 border control
View Single Post
Old Apr 27, 2012, 9:19 am
EDIflyer

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LondonAndy
OK, I haven't read all 15 pages of comments in detail, but is this predominantly a problem at LHR and, in particular T5? How come I don't see the same problems at LGW for example? If it was a commercial organisation that was under-resourced I guess people would be moved around pretty quickly...

I understand LGW is getting a number of new e-passport machines that are significantly faster than the original ones (which took upto 40 seconds to get a person through).
Definitely not just LHR - I took an hour to get through LGW a month or so ago. I don't have an ePassport but it looked like their shorter queue was MUCH slower moving than the longer non-ePassport queue, so they still don't seem to have a decent new system yet.

BAA don't exactly cover themselves in glory either - returning from NCE in February I was through immigration in 5 minutes when connecting to a domestic BD flight, but then BAA security only had one lane open (you're forced to go through it again, even when you've remained airside) & their new camera system took ages - resulted in a 1.5h delay and missing a connecting flight!