FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is BWI still considered Co-terminal with DCA/IAD, allowing for standy?
Old Apr 26, 2012, 11:05 pm
cliff31420

Programs: AA PLT, SGP PLT, HH Diamond, Hyatt PLT
Originally Posted by traveladam
Yes, BWI is considered co-terminal with the DCA/IAD (link). The downside is that many of the fares to BWI specify "Maryland only" in the rules, so that defeats the purpose. I've also never seen anything in the rules that specifically says you can standby to co-terminals, but I've had agents offer to do so if the fare rules allow it.

STANDBY PROVISIONS
(Applicable to travel between the U.S.A. and the Caribbean)
Passengers holding confirmed reservations and tickets may standby between ticketed city pairs for earlier/later same day flights for which the ticketed fare is applicable at no additional cost. Passengers may standby between ticketed city pairs for earlier/later same day flights on which the ticketed fare does not apply for the difference in fare plus the USD 100.00 change fee. In addition to the original airport of departure/arrival the passenger may check in and standby to/from either airport listed below at no additional cost.

WAS IAD/DCA
Thank you, guys! It does seem that it's better not to count on it unless there is a irregular operation. The AA rep did tell me a "NO" after whatever she was reading from for almost 10 min. The fare rule on aa.com does not say anything one way or the other. But I guess for $200 saving, it's probably worth to drive that extra 30 miles from BWI. Only thing is DCA has way more capacity/choices compared to BWI.