FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best Duffel / Travel Bag for a CRJ 200
View Single Post
Old Apr 25, 2012, 2:15 pm
thegasguru

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
I've nearly tried them all, and I'm convinced that this B&R bag is the largest rolling carry on that will still fit in the overhead of those ghastly CRJ 200s. The overhead bins on those small CRJs are 8" in height, which is the exact dimension of front-to-back of the B&R. It will fit overhead with the wheels out. My experience has been that if you try to fit a 9" bag (or bigger) up there, it won't work. I've flown the Embraers and the 200s and the little Barbie jets on most of the legacy carrier partners, and this bag has always fit overhead.

B&R luggage builds its telescoping handles on the OUTSIDE of the bag, which not only makes for easier packing (because the inner bag space is more symetrical), but that metal handle provides a sort of protective frame to lay the bag on, which I like since it fits up there wheels out.

I also carry a TriStar, and I can fit a breathtaking amount of stuff in there as well, and it ALWAYS fits into the overhead of the CRJs as well. But it can get a bit heavy sometimes, and there are no wheels. So I've come up with the solution of using the B&R wheeled bag, and then carrying the Tristar on top of it. And the most interesting part of all of this has been: there is usually plenty of overhead bin space for BOTH my bags on the smallest CRJs, because everybody else had to gate check their bags! I usually retract the handle of the B&R right before boarding, and carry it by it's builtin handle. I then put the Tristar on my back like a backpack. Even the surliest gate agent won't take a second look. They seem to target nearly any wheeled bag...but the B&R looks downright small with the handle retracted, especially compared to everybody else's 22" rollaboards. And the gate agents never seem to stop anybody with a backpack.

So...there you have it. Hope it helps!