FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Nervous about high Ultimate Rewards balance?
Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:21 am
84fiero

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by bilah1
Choose an airline or two and redeem ur points to achieve status, if you don't have any. I got to aa exp this way. In essence you are laundering miles legally. Others may disagree. You get 25% more value. Not as good as Ty premier card which you get 33% more value if you have that card.
The only airline that counted every mile earned for lifetime status was AA, and as of Dec 2011 only BIS miles count. AMEX MR sometimes has bonus offers into DL miles where you earn some MQMs for the current year, but UR so far hasn't had any such offers.

So far there have only been a few anecdotes of Chase suddenly closing all of someone's accounts. Of course we rarely know all of the details beyond whatever the poster or email provides. The only sort of common thread may be folks who sign up for a lot of Chase cards, mostly cease using them after the minimum spend is achieved, and especially if they then cancel after a year.

If you're not doing the above, and are spending large amounts on your Chase cards, then you're the exact opposite of those who have anything to worry about, would be my guess. Chase loves continuing to get the swipe fees and the annual fee from your spending.

Again, just my best guess from the stories that have popped up. I can only think of having read 2 or 3 actual anecdotes here or on the blogs (not counting people posting about having "heard about" it). All were people who hadn't spent much past the minimum with Chase cards.

One on FTG's blog also involved someone who had recently refinanced their mortgage from Chase to another bank. Was that a factor? Possibly. So there might be other factors such as how long you've had a banking relationship with Chase, if you have other products besides cards...with all the incidents I've read about, Chase universally refused to disclose their reasons to the posters, so we'll never know 100% for sure.