FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Nervous about high Ultimate Rewards balance?
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:36 am
khanalim

Nervous about high Ultimate Rewards balance?

Hi guys, I'm just wondering how many people are nervous about high ultimate rewards points balances, and what people do about it?

I think many of us are on the "aggresive" side with chase credit cards, and we have heard a few stories about accounts being closed. I use chase credit cards for all my purchaes, but I also have taken advantage of around 4 or 5 sign up bonsus in the past 12 months.

I would be upset if my accounts got closed, but even more upset about losing 200k ultimate rewards points. It seems safer to start transferring these rewards to either united, southwest, or hyatt, but of course once we transfer, we lose the flexibility of having them in UR. Also, maybe I am waiting for UR to offer transfer bonuses as Amex MR does.

Anyone have thoughts on this or developed a thought out strategy?

For me, I'm thinking southwest is the safest place to store points because of the certainty of value (and beacuse I have the companion pass through 2013). But I already have 150K southwest points and 600K united points, and I don't want to pad those accounts unless there was a high probabilty of me getting shut down by chase. I have never had any hyatt points. I have heard people say thats a good value redemption.

Any thoughts on this?