FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Apr 21, 2012, 8:03 am
jlemon
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Grand Canyon Airport (GCN) used to be served by Hughes Airwest DC-9s.

Ft. Worth, Texas (Now Meacham Int'l. Airport) used to be served by 727s from BN and EA. AA also flew into there, possibly with 707s.

No commercial service to either airport today...

Did UA serve Palmdale with non-regional jets, though...?
GCN was also served by TriStar with BAe 146 aircraft....however, one might consider the 146 to be a regional jet, although it is certainly larger than a 50 pax CRJ or ERJ.....

As for Ft. Worth, perhaps you are referring to now closed Greater Southwest (GSW)? I'm not sure if Meacham ever received mainline jet service, although GSW sure did, including AA 707 and 727 service as well as DL Convair 880 service......and in later years, Mesa Air tried operating Canadair CRJ-200s to HOU and other Texas destinations from Meacham but the service was not successful (this Mesa operation from Meacham was also referred to as "Larry Risley's Last Dance" )......

I do not believe that Palmdale received mainline jet service as well. SkyWest, operating as United Express, did fly Swearingen Metro and Embraer EMB-120 turboprops to LAX from Palmdale (but I do not think the CRJ was used on this route).....and I seem to recall that America West Express operated Dash 8 turboprops from Palmdale to Las Vegas.

BTW, Palmdale Airport was home for the Lockheed L-1011 production line.....