FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AMR 2012 First Quarter Results
View Single Post
Old Apr 20, 2012, 7:47 am
jlemon
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
AMR 2012 First Quarter Results

Received this interesting bit of news from the Air Transport World (ATW) daily news service this morning:

"American Airlines (AA) parent AMR Corp., which is restructuring via the Chapter 11 bankruptcy process, incurred a $1.66 billion net loss in the first quarter, according to a filing Thursday with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC).

The loss was widened from a $436 million net deficit in the 2011 March quarter. The results include $1.4 billion in reorganization items. First quarter revenue increased 9.1% year-over-year to $6.04 billion while expenses rose 6.3% to $6.13 billion. AA's aircraft fuel costs heightened 17.5% to $2.17 billion.

Operating loss was $89 million, narrowed from a $232 million operating deficit in the prior-year quarter.

First quarter consolidated passenger yield increased 7.4% year-over-year with mainline yield rising 7.3%, according to the airline."

My interest stems from the fact that I recently switched most of my flying from UA (I was Plat with CO for many years) to AA. We also have a number of DFW-based friends (pilots, flight attendants, maintenance folks) whom we sail with who have worked for AA for a long time. So we are hoping for the best with regard to the future of AA.....