FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sao Paulo to Iguazu Falls
View Single Post
Old Apr 20, 2012, 5:05 am
RafKa

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by ordogg
Thinking about doing Sao Paulo - Iguazco Falls on a Saturday but need to be in Asuncion by Monday night - any recommendations for a driver / guide?

Thanks!
Here's what I recommend: fly to IGU on Friday evening/Sat morning. Book a stay at Los Troncos Hotel, in Puerto Iguazu http://www.hotellostroncosiguazu.com/
The hotel is quite simple, but very cozy and in central Puerto Iguazu, a 10 minute walk from central Puerto Iguazu, but you feel like you are in the middle of the jungle.

The hotel staff are super friendly and will arrange a pick up at the airport by a private taxi (remis, like a UK minicab) and from there you can go straight to the Brazilian falls. Visiting the Brazilian side of the falls takes no more than 2-3 hours. From there the driver can take you to Los Troncos where you can relax and go to the Argentinean side of the falls in the late afternoon.

Do not miss a steak dinner at Pizza Color (or just Color, most recently) which makes some of the best steaks I've had in all of Argentina, at a ridiculously cheap price!

Then you can spend all of Sunday visiting the falls again (your ticket to the Argentinean side gives you a 50% discount if you return the next day) as there's a lot to see on the Argie side. I especially recommend the boat tour under the falls - expect to get drenched!

On Monday you can get the driver to drop you off at Ciudad del Este airport in Paraguay, where you can take a TAM domestic flight to Asuncion.

The whole trip is eminently doable, as long as you don't attempt to go from SP to Iguazu overland!!

It's one of the greatest places on Earth and not to be missed.

P.S: I have no affiliation with Los Troncos, but was so impressed by how lovely everyone there was that I've been recommending them ever since.

Also, no need for a guide, the parks are extremely well signposted and you'll find all the info you need there.