FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Australia award travel
View Single Post
Old Apr 17, 2012, 6:07 am
CreditMadeEZ

Programs: PC Plat, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by iahphx
OK, so if I'm understanding this correctly, Choice still charges a ton of points for their Australia hotels, but since they wanted to participate in the "stay two nights get one free promo" (that was worldwide, right?), they TEMPORARILY lowered the point requirements for their Australia hotels from a bizillion to 8000?

This is obviously a bizarre (and, I would submit, idiotic) way to run a loyalty program, but a temporary bonanza to those who want to spend Choice points in Australia.

It doesn't sound too likely to help me next year, though, so I won't plan on being able to redeem my points in Australia at reasonable levels.
By my understanding, kinda...

It seems like the European and Australasia Choice hotels ended up lowering their redemption rates for this promotion, but the U.S. ones don't. Not sure why the others do unless there are local laws that require it for some strange reason. Especially strange with Australia's economy booming.

This promotion runs periodically in the U.S. This is the first time I've noticed the overseas promotions. I'm not sure if they have also had the promotion at the same(or similar) times and had a temporary lowering of redemption rates during such.

Has anyone done this promotion overseas before? Or know why they lowered redemption rates during the stay twice promotion?