FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Nov-Dec 2 weeks - itinerary suggestions
View Single Post
Old Apr 16, 2012, 5:41 pm
chollie
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by etch5895
You could fly into NUE if you wanted to. For SkyTeam, both Air France and KLM fly into Nürnberg on regional jets. You'd connect in either CDG (yuck) or Amsterdam, and catch the short flight into NUE on either an AF Embraer 170 or a KLM Fokker 70 / Embraer 170. NUE airport also has a subway train station that would have you in the city center in about 15 minutes. Food for thought.
OK, I may have to look into it more. We could connect through AMS, but it would have to be on DL metal - we get E+ seats free on DL. I have read about too many hassles with getting an E+ seat assignment on KLM - problems with getting charged, losing the seat assignment, etc - not willing to fly KLM until this issue gets sorted out. We also avoid any US connection through the northeast or midwest late in the year.

Why Berlin, if you don't mind my asking? Some may disagree, but Berlin has always seemed somewhat soulless to me.
Berlin: mostly because the Christmas markets (number and variety) are supposed to be amazing, but also because of family history.

Now, from other posts, I think we're definitely going to have to add Bamberg to our itinerary.

Any thoughts on Cologne?

I'm not categorically ruling out low-cost flights, but I see several possible disadvantages. $ to from city centers - often not included in 'city pass', can definitely add up. Strict carry-on rules - we do NOT want to risk any checked bag delays/issues, no matter how unlikely. Door-to-door time - we were told by locals on our last trip that it's often just as fast to take a train as it is to take a train to the airport, time for security/checkin early, short flight, train back to city center at destination.

I did realize after reading your reply that although I can sleep fine on the train, (and doing so would shift the cost of a night's lodging), we'd almost certainly arrive somewhere hours too early to check in. Don't fancy that.

As for the night trains, I've only done one from Berlin to Zurich on the CityNightLine train about 7 years ago. Very expensive and not much sleep quality. I'd look into low cost flights instead, or maybe a Eurail pass and use the ICE trains.