FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Short miles for award, What about transferring from another account? Alternatives?
Old Apr 16, 2012, 12:37 pm
Boghopper

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by Thufir Hawat
Hello all,

It's been a long while (nearly 3 months) since I last logged in, so I might be a bit rusty on things with the 'new' UA, but I have a question.

Whose idea was it to charge $15 per 1k miles for miles transfer between members?

I ask since my dad (another UA member) and I were arranging a miles transfer and he came back in an email saying that the new United 'sucks' and that he wonders why he should have to pay for something that 1) was previously free to his recollection and 2) is something that can be done entirely online without any human interaction whatsoever.

Needless to say this has me a bit miffed as well, but I know enough to know that big companies don't like to make exceptions for things like this, so when did this start/change? (He and I are both GM, in case anyone makes suggestions which imply that we have, y'know, any 'status' in COUA.)

(EDIT: feel free to call me an idiot for either not using the search tool or for suggesting that this is a new feature of post-merger UA, if this has been around a while, I won't mind.)
As noted by others, it's almost universal that a fee is charged to transfer miles. Why do they do it? Because they can and it makes money. The ones I find really absurd are the charges that are basically as much as it costs to buy the miles, or as much as the miles are worth. Might as well save your miles and buy your friend/relative/etc a ticket.