FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Using your City of Birth rather than the Country on Passport
Old Apr 15, 2012, 11:57 pm
tfar

Originally Posted by daniellam
I think passports should not even have a place of birth field to begin with as I see it to be irrelevant.

Take the US passport as an example: Does this mean that if a US citizen is not born in the US is considered to be second class citizen?

In most countries, the country of citizenship has nothing to do with where you are born but on your parents citizenship at the time of your birth.

Note: Japanese passports list "place of domicile" which is not necessarily your place of birth. Swiss passports list "place of origin".
I don't think immigration lawyers would agree that in which country you are born is an irrelevant piece of information.

This is because there is not only the ius sanguinae but also the ius terrae, as main identifier of nationality.

The place of domicile just means where your main domicile is. It might not even be in the country your passport is from.

The city of birth is listed in German passports, too. When it is a German passport and German city, it is assumed that this city is in Germany. So it will only say "Berlin" for example under birthplace. But what they mean is, of course, Berlin, Germany ... not any of the NINE Berlins in the USA.

Till