FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - PCS Coverage
Thread: PCS Coverage
View Single Post
Old Jul 25, 2003, 10:16 am
Stefan Daystrom

Programs: AA Plat, BA, DL, Frontier, NWA, SWA, UA, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat, Choice Priv, BW, Diners
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bhatnasx:
I'm not switching anytime soon because I'm earning airline miles with them and it's too much of a hassle to get a new cell number and tell it to everyone you know. BUT, if I were going to switch, I'd probably switch to Verizon - everyone I know that has that is VERY happy with their service.</font>
Well, if you go over to the Visa/MC board and search on "Verizon", you'll find that there are a lot of FTers (including me) who are very unhappy with Verizon (local service) billing. Unlike any other modern phone company, Verizon has for the past few years not accepted credit cards over the phone or over the web for payment of your monthly (local landline service, at least) bill. The only way to pay by credit card was to schlep to one of their physical stores (with limited hours and limited locations and ever-changing store names). Now I hear they've added paying by credit card over the phone but tack on a "convenience fee" which wipes out any mileage earning you might get by paying by credit card (there's no fee if you schlep to a Verizon Plus store). And they won't take Diners Club (my preferred card for mileage earning) at all. (Btw, Verizon bought up GTE here in SoCal a few years ago, and when they were GTE they had no problems taking credit card payments over the phone with no surcharge.)

In contrast, Sprint (long distance) not only lets me pay by credit card over the phone, not only lets me pay by Diners Club, but years ago was able to set up (at my request) automatic billing to my Diners Club every months so the only time I have to contact them about billing is every few years when my card gets updated!

So at the very least I suggest you check with those people you know who are happy with Verizon (wireless) and find out if they're mileage junkies who want to pay for EVERYTHING with their best-milesage-earning credit card. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif