FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Airport-Friendly Belts and shoes
View Single Post
Old Apr 12, 2012, 7:47 am
gobluetwo

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by T.J. Bender
You know, I've given that one a lot of thought, and decided I'd rather just take off my shoes. For one, if I say "medical reasons" when asked why I'm not taking my shoes off, it invites the "what reason is that?" question. If I answer diabetes and the TSO has half a functioning brain cell, they'll ask why I didn't take my insulin and syringes out of my carry-on for inspection. If I have a TSO with no functioning brain cells left, they'll likely ask me to explain, and I'll refuse on HIPAA grounds, and it would quickly become a "do you want to fly today?" situation.

Long story short, the worst thing that could happen if you leave your belt on is the TSO telling you that you're a bad little sheep. The worst thing that could happen by refusing to take your shoes off on (imaginary) medical grounds is a TSO denying you passage across the safety moat and an airport police officer finding some trumped-up reason to make your day miserable for lying to a TSO.
You're not obligated to tell the TSA anything beyond "medical condition". If they ask what the condition, you just tell them it's private and that the specific nature of the condition is not relevant beyond having to keep your shoes on or whatever.

Originally Posted by squeakr
Suggest away!

squeakr

co-Mod TS/S
Honestly, none of my regular (dress, jeans) belts have ever alarmed the WTMD. Just standard metal buckles, nothing too big.