FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Staff Travel
Thread: Staff Travel
View Single Post
Old Apr 11, 2012, 2:04 pm
CaptainEKAirbus

Originally Posted by ung1
Thought I'd share an interesting piece of information I gleaned the other day. First Officer's wife was onboard, but in J, even though F was not full, so I had a bit of a chat with the crew about eligibility.

Captain's family - F
First OFficer's family/ Purser - J
Cabin Crew (SFS and below) - Y

I'm not sure how it works for non-crew staff. Obviously Tim Clark and the Sheikh sit in F, and I do know that Country Managers and families are entitled to J.
Higher management- Y/J/F
Captain- Y/J/F
First officers- Y/J
Maintenance- Y/J
Pursers- Y/J
All other cabin crew- Y

The classes of service also apply to the family. EK staff can book a variety of different tickets, with Stand-by and firm tickets being available to be purchased in any of the classes of travel you are eligible. However our annual leave tickets work different, you are booked into the lower class of travel, however you are eligible for an upgrade; provided space is available in the higher class of course. For example a Captain will be able to book a firm J ticket for their annual leave ticket upgradable to F, therefore at checkin or sometimes even as late as the gate you can ask for you upgrade... if it is already not given. Generally under most circumstances they can give you the upgrade unless of course the higher class of travel is not available/full... or other rules apply as well!

Originally Posted by NoGoldAnywhere
I've done 40k miles on Staff travel with EK in last 18 months and never been offered an up on EMPTY J class flights. Only way UG is done is on Duty travel subject to J load. Had a "runthrough" in DXB of upper deck, but that's only brief as peeps like Descended want to get home... don't forget, our journey is their SHIFT!

Happy flying NGA
Are you cabin crew? If not and you are eligible for upgrade to J then ask at the gate, or ask the purser... you are entitled to the higher class provided space is available... so you should have gotten it. However if you book a Y ticket only you won't be given an upgrade remember, you only receive the upgrade on your ALT.