FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Concern about increased airport security in Australia
Old Apr 11, 2012, 12:49 am
Himeno

Programs: QFF
I received a reply to the email I sent to Warren Truss, Leader of the National Party (part of the Coalition – the current opposition) and Shadow Minister for Infrastructure and Transport on Feb 6 (just after it was first mentioned in the media, before the bill was tabled in parliament).

When considering the implementation of this new technology at our airports the community will need to be assured that the scans are safe and that their privacy of the travelling public is absolutely protected . Legitimate concerns have also been raised about the level of inconvenience travellers will face at airports and the value body scanners will add to our overall national security regime.

The Coalition has referred the legislation to the House of Representatives Committee on Infrastructure and Communications for their consideration and to obtain assurances that appropriate health and privacy standards are met, that the machines are effective and that they add value to our national security framework. The Committee is presently considering submissions made by a number of privacy advocacy organisations, the Department and concerned citizens. It is expected to report before the bill is debated during the Budget session of the Parliament.

The Coalition will consider its final position on the deployment of body scanners at international departure points at our airports once the Committee has reported to the Parliament.
The budget session is the next sitting week, 8-10 May. At least now we have a reporting date for the house inquiry which matches that set for the senate inquiry. Another month before we can see the reports from the two inquiries and parliament debates the bill.

I hear back from the Shadow Minister, but not from the Minister or my own senators or representative...