FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MCI RATE INCREASE - NO NOTICE
View Single Post
Old Sep 13, 2000, 5:50 pm
JRF

Programs: DL Flying Colonel
MCI RATE INCREASE - NO NOTICE

Just looked at my BellSouth bill, and on August 1, MCI raised their 7c per minute rate (on the 5c/7c plan) to 9c. On top of it, they raised the monthly fee for the service 5/7 plan but I am not sure how much, as it is bundled in with other charges. No notice, I just happened to have two calls made around the same time, one on the last day of July and one on the first of August, so I noticed the difference.

In the past, I have been told on this board I am too cheap for bringing things like this up. However, this is out and out fraud. I am a telecom engineer and billing expert. I find the behavior by MCI repulsive, as they are required by law to advise me of rate increases at least 30 days in advance.

I called MCI and they said, "yes, we did raise the rates, and no, we did not notify you as you are billed by Bell, we only notified customers billed by MCI."

I asked to close my account and was told I cannot do that through MCI, I have to call Bell. Now, I know there is a 50/50 chance if I do that the monthly fee will still keep billing, so this could get messy.

I will write the FCC and complain as well, if there is an online complaint, as I am not going to spend the money on a postage stamp. Will also call Bell and dispute the entire MCI portion of the bill and tie up MCI resources on this as long as I can. So much for MCI, they go on the “not again for three years list.”

BE WARNED!!!

[This message has been edited by JRF (edited 09-13-2000).]