FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Car Rental Insurance in Ireland -- Very Confused
Old Apr 9, 2012, 9:12 pm
ANC RED-EYE
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by philemer
I wouldn't believe them unless I had it in writing. I have a World MC (thru Barclay Bank) and it does NOT offer coverage in Ireland.
I recently applied for, and received, the Citi ThankYou Premier World Mastercard. I just got off the phone with 800.MCASSIST who confirmed that this World Mastercard does offer MasterRental insurance protection that does apply in Ireland. Letter confirming said coverage to be faxed to me.

She confirmed that World and WorldElite Mastercards who offer insurance coverage through MasterCard will be covered in Ireland. Probably the best way to confirm this is not to call the bank on the card, but to call 800.MCASSIST

Another nice feature of the Citi ThankYou Premier is that it is supposed to be available with Chip and Signature technology (EMV chip), which should eliminate some hassle in Ireland...however, that department is currently closed, I have to call and request my chip card tomorrow.

Anyone interested in applying should use the link in this post. You will have the option to choose mastercard in the application (note Visa would not cover Ireland car rental). Current signup benefits:
-no annual fee for 12 months
-2x points at restaurants and travel for 12 months
-50K points at signup (redeemable for $665 in airfare or $500 in gift cards)
-No foreign transaction fees
-Annual companion certificate, and 15% off airfare booked through their portal (the details and value of these 2 benefits are fuzzy to me).