FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Asiana Award Reservation CANCELLED without even telling me!
Old Apr 9, 2012, 10:03 am
jh6000

Programs: United Platinum & 2.0MM; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium and Lifetime Gold; Hyatt and Hilton Honors peon
Originally Posted by Flyingfox
At least you didn't get half way round the world, show up for your flight, and THEN have them tell you they cannot find your "segment" with them (despite your wife being on the same itenerary and having the same flight).

So she got her award ticket segment and got to board.

I got to board too, but I HAD TO PURCHASE that segment, and I got to pay full fare business. It was the only segment out of 8 that had "just vanished".

And this was an award ticket done 6 months previous.

I really avoid them whenever possible.

Flyingfox,

I had the same thing happen to me, but on Thai. I was on a first class award ticket to Asia, had a confirmed old-UA reservation, boarded a flight on Christmas morning headed to Phuket from Shanghai, with a change of planes in BKK. Had all boarding passes in hand from Shanghai.

Show up to board the flight from BKK-Phuket at 10:30pm at night (last flight of the night) and was told that even though I had a boarding pass, the ticket had not been issued and I would have to buy two tickets (full fare business class to replace my business class award seats to Phuket) or I would not be allowed to board the flight. Given that it was the last flight out of the night, I bought new tickets. After returning in January, I sent a long note and receipts to UA Customer Service. I have followed up every few weeks by email to ask status of resolving this -- they always get back to me after a few days, and have said for the last month that the holdup is on the Thai side.

How did you get your situation resolved (lots of time on the phone?) and what did UA do in terms of reimbursement? I'd like the cash back for the ~$400+ I shelled out on the spot for tickets.