FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Asiana Award Reservation CANCELLED without even telling me!
Old Apr 9, 2012, 8:14 am
as219

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by colpuck
Drama, this is a confirmed problem with the OZ system that existed BEFORE the merger, IE before the change to SHARES. This has nothing to do with UA but with OZ's IT failure. There are plenty of "merger is a failure" threads to vent your spleen in. This is not one of them.
I'm going to have to beg to differ here...

While it may very well be an IT problem on OZ's end, and while I've never seen a thread about this on the PMCO board I'm willing to take your word on it...the underlying point is that we PMUA folks have been operating for years and years based on a certain set of assumptions about how *A awards are booked, assumptions that were silently changed to PMCO standards without any announcement whatsoever that such changes were made. When we behave as if everything was as it was, but it tuns out fundamental changes have taken place, it's inevitable that some people are going to get zapped. Therefore, even if we agree to put aside the issue of whether PMUA or PMCO procedures and rules are "better," the bottom line is that by failing to communicate these changes clearly and sufficiently in advance, the merger has been a failure.

In any event, the issue of "confirmed" award reservations in fact not being confirmed is entirely without justification. There's simply no excuse for it. All UA has to do is add some boldfaced language before you click purchase/book over the phone explanining that reservations are not confirmed until X, Y or Z happen and that if on confirmation is received within so many hours/days, one needs to call back to make sure it's booked properly.