FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Oddest Conversation with a fellow PAX in F yesterday...
Old Apr 9, 2012, 6:47 am
striker008

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, SPG Platinum, Amex Centurion
Oddest Conversation with a fellow PAX in F yesterday...

So I was upgraded at the window on a flight I flew yesterday. I noticed when we boarded the plane only about half of First class was full. Started talking to my seat mate (he was the talkative type, I normally only get the niceties out of the way, then retreat to a book or technology).

Anyway, this guy tells me he is a FO and that his wife (two rows up) and him are on holiday. They booked seperate PNR's, he paid for his ticket and booked her ticket with pay with miles. Long story short, he was eligible for upgrade, she was not. Apparently, he could see that First class was wide open so he just had her sit there, knowing that no one would occupy that seat (thanks to his Delta app seating chart and the fact that she boarded at the last minute).

Does this really happen? How does no one catch this? I guess normally first class is so full, it's probably rare anyway. I just had never thought someone would just stroll on the plane and sit in first class.

I agree that FO's get shafted on the companion upgrade award tickets, especially for a benefit they would rarely ever get to utilize in the first place, but sneaking into first class just seems a bit drastic...