FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tambo del Inka, Urubamba, Peru [Master Thread]
Old Apr 7, 2012, 10:10 am
Pentech

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Aeroplan 75K
Getting to hotel from Cuzco airoort

As others have mentioned on this thread, taking a taxi from Cuzco airport ranges from 60-80 soles.

I ran into an issue where the taxi agreed to 70 soles, but ended up stopping at various hotels in Cuzco trying to pick up additional riders!! I told him no more passengers and then he wanted 100soles for the trip. Needless to say, I got out of the taxi. It went better than expected as I stumbled upon a collectiv van heading to urubamba and it cost 30 soles (although the other local passengers were charged 20). The van was very clean and pretty new, so I thought it was a good deal.

On the way back from urubamba to Cuzco, you can get a taxi by the gas station when you take a right out of the hotel entrance (about 5 minute walk). Just leave your luggage at the hotel, and walk over to the gas station and have the taxi swing by the hotel to pick up your luggage. I wasn't able to get the fare down too much and ended up paying 80 soles to the airport (70 to cuzco downtown, probably too high based on the other posts, but no one wanted to drive down to Cuzco).

I was contemplating taking a collectiv, but wasn't sure when the next one would show up. I cannot speak Spanish and the local person told me where to wait (gas station when your turn left out of the hotel on the other side of the street), however I had a flight to catch so didn't want to risk it.